Panamint City California – Inyo County Ghost Town

Panamint City is one of the most legendary ghost towns in the Panamint Range of Death Valley National Park, California. Perched high in Surprise Canyon at an elevation of around 6,000–6,500 feet (about 1,800–2,000 m), it was once a notorious silver boomtown known for its lawlessness, rapid rise, and swift decline. Today, the site lies in a remote, rugged wilderness area within the park (though some remnants are on private inholdings or patented claims).

Panamint City California - 1875
Panamint City California – 1875

Historical Background and Founding (1872–1873)

The story of Panamint City begins in late 1872 amid the chaotic aftermath of earlier California gold and silver rushes. Prospectors William L. Kennedy, Robert Polk Stewart, and Richard C. Jacobs (some accounts name them as William Ledlie Kennedy et al.) were searching for the fabled Lost Gunsight Mine (a legendary lost gold deposit tied to early Death Valley lore) when they stumbled upon rich silver outcrops in Surprise Canyon. The canyon’s isolation had long made it a favorite hideout for outlaws evading law enforcement after stagecoach robberies and other crimes.

When the prospectors returned to stake formal claims, a gang of six bandits (who had followed them) forced a partnership to share in the profits—despite the outlaws being wanted for crimes like robbing a Wells Fargo stage of $12,000. This unlikely alliance marked the birth of the Panamint Mining District, officially formed in February 1873. Ore samples sent to Los Angeles attracted attention, and word spread quickly.

Senator John Percival Jones
Senator John Percival Jones

Boom Period (1873–1875)

The real boom ignited when Nevada’s “Silver Senators”—John P. Jones and William M. Stewart (prominent Comstock Lode investors)—learned of the discoveries. They organized the Panamint Mining Company with $2 million in capital stock and bought up major claims, injecting serious investment. By late 1874, Panamint City exploded into a full-fledged town:

  • Population peaked at around 1,500–2,000 residents, including miners, merchants, saloonkeepers, prostitutes, gamblers, and outlaws.
  • The main street stretched nearly one mile up the narrow canyon, lined with wooden buildings: hotels, restaurants, stores, assay offices, two banks, a post office, and the Panamint News newspaper.
  • Saloons and a red-light district thrived, contributing to the town’s reputation as one of the “toughest, rawest, most hard-boiled little hellholes” in the West.
  • Lawlessness was rampant—reports claim over 50 murders in the first few years, with shootouts, claim-jumping, and vigilante justice common. Wells Fargo refused to operate a stage line due to the banditry; instead, bullion was cast into heavy 400-pound cubes to deter theft during transport.
  • Key mines included the Wyoming Mine, Wonder Mine, and others producing high-grade silver ore (some assays showed values in the thousands of dollars per ton), along with copper and lesser gold.

The town even inspired ambitious infrastructure plans, such as Senator Jones’ short-lived railroad project from Santa Monica (which never fully materialized beyond initial segments).

William M. Stewart. Photo by Matthew Brady
William M. Stewart. Photo by Matthew Brady

Decline and Abandonment (1875–1877)

The bust came as quickly as the boom. By late 1875, the richest surface and near-surface ore bodies in the major mines began depleting rapidly. Veins pinched out or became too low-grade to process profitably with 1870s technology. Investors pulled out, and production plummeted.

A catastrophic flash flood in 1876 roared down Surprise Canyon, washing away much of the lower town, destroying buildings, roads, and equipment. This disaster accelerated the exodus. By 1877, major operations shut down entirely, and Panamint City was largely abandoned. Scavengers and a few holdouts lingered briefly, but the population evaporated within months.

Later History and Remnants

The site is protected; visitors must hike and plan trips carefully (flash flood risk remains high). Sporadic small-scale prospecting occurred in the early 20th century, but nothing revived the town. The area saw renewed minor activity during later Panamint Range booms (e.g., gold at nearby Skidoo in 1905–1917), but Panamint City itself remained a ghost town.

In the mid-20th century, some structures were salvaged or burned; flash floods continued to erode the site.

Today, within Death Valley National Park (established 1994, expanded to include the Panamint Range), remnants include:

  • Foundation stones and walls of former buildings.
  • Mine adits, shafts, and tailings piles.
  • The old smelter stack base and scattered artifacts.
Panamint City Stamp Mill
Panamint City Stamp Mill

Panamint City exemplifies the classic Western mining boom-bust cycle: fueled by rich silver discoveries, hyped by big investors, plagued by lawlessness and isolation, and doomed by ore depletion and natural disaster. Its brief, violent heyday left an enduring legend in Death Valley lore—one of outlaws turning prospectors, senators chasing silver, and a canyon that swallowed a town almost as fast as it rose.

Panamint Town Summary

NamePanamint
LocationInyo County
Latitude, Longitude36.1182827, -117.0953327
GNIS1661185
Elevation6,300 Feet
NewspaperPanamint News ( 1874-1875 )

Panamint Map

References

Belmont Nevada – Nye County Ghost Town

Belmont is a historic ghost town in Nye County, central Nevada, located in the Toquima Range along former State Route 82, about 45 miles northeast of Tonopah. Today, it remains a well-preserved “living ghost town” with a handful of residents, restored buildings, and ruins that attract history enthusiasts. The entire town site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, and it is Nevada Historical Marker number 138.

Belmont in 1871
Belmont in 1871

Discovery and Boom Years (1865–1880s)

Silver ore was discovered in the area in 1865 by Native American prospectors, leading to a major strike that established the town in the Philadelphia (or Silver Bend) mining district. High-grade surface ores, assaying up to $3,000 per ton, sparked a rush in 1866, drawing miners from camps like Austin and Ione.

By 1867, Belmont had grown rapidly and became the Nye County seat, a role it held until 1905. The town boasted substantial brick and wood-frame buildings—uncommon in arid Nevada—thanks to local access to wood, water, rock, and clay. Amenities included:

  • Four stores
  • Two saloons
  • Five restaurants
  • A post office (operating 1867–1911, briefly reopened 1915–1922)
  • Assay office
  • Bank
  • School
  • Telegraph office
  • Two newspapers (including the Belmont Courier)
  • Blacksmith shop

It also featured a Chinatown, red-light district, racetrack, churches, and the famous Cosmopolitan Saloon and Music Hall, which hosted entertainers from across the country.

Population estimates at its peak in the 1870s varied widely, from 2,000 to as high as 15,000 (though the latter is likely exaggerated, as Nye County’s total population remained low).

CANFIELD'S MILL, BELMONT, NEVADA - NARA - 524117
CANFIELD’S MILL, BELMONT, NEVADA – NARA – 524117

Mining Operations

Belmont’s economy centered on silver mining, with additional production of copper, lead, and antimony. The district’s ores were high-grade but shallow, primarily silver chloride (cerargyrite) above the water table.

Key operations included:

  • Multiple mills, peaking at six
  • The Monitor-Belmont Mill (started 1873)
  • Combination Mill
  • Cameron Mill

A 20-stamp mill was built early on, and by 1868, five sawmills supported construction and mining. Total production from the district is estimated at $15 million (in 19th-century values), with the bulk occurring between 1866 and 1887. The mines dominated Nye County’s silver output during the peak.

The town gained a rowdy reputation, with saloon brawls, shootings, vigilante actions, and feuds common in its early days.

Decline and Later Years (1880s–Present)

A brief lull hit in 1868–1869 as miners chased new rushes (e.g., White Pine district), but production revived in the 1870s. By the late 1880s, falling silver prices, lower-grade ores, and dewatering costs forced most mines to close around 1887–1890.

The county seat moved to Tonopah in 1905 after that town’s boom. Minor revivals occurred:

  • 1907–1908 (tailings rework)
  • 1914–1917 (Monitor-Belmont Company at Cameron Mill)
  • Early 20th-century dump reprocessing

By 1900, only a few businesses remained, and the population dwindled. Unlike many Nevada ghost towns, Belmont was never fully abandoned—a small population prevented vandalism and salvaging.

In the mid-20th century, Rose Walter, a tough local resident known as the “Lady Guardian,” watched over the town; an unconfirmed story claims she once evicted Charles Manson and his followers from the courthouse.

Today, Belmont has a tiny year-round population, seasonal businesses like Dirty Dick’s Belmont Saloon, and ongoing preservation efforts.

Belmont Town Summary

NameBelmont Nevada
LocationNye County, Nevada
NewspaperSilver Bend Reporter Mar 30, May 11, 25, 1867;July 29, 1868

Mountain Champion June 3, 1868 – Apr 24, 1869

Belmont Courier Feb 14, 1874 – Mar 2, 1901

Several notable Nevadans tied their early careers to Belmont’s mining scene:

  • Tasker Oddie → Prospected and worked in the area; later became Nevada’s 12th governor (1911–1915) and a U.S. Senator.
  • Jim Butler → Involved in local mining; discovered the Tonopah silver strike in 1900, sparking that boom.
  • Jack Longstreet → Gunfighter and prospector who participated in early history.
  • Andrew Maute → Early miner with local ties.

The town’s iconic 1876 Nye County Courthouse, a two-story brick structure, stands partially restored (efforts by the Friends of the Belmont Courthouse after Nye County took ownership in 2012). Nearby mill ruins, like the tall Monitor-Belmont chimney (once used for target practice), and preserved buildings like the Philadelphia House evoke its silver rush heyday.

Belmont exemplifies Nevada’s classic boom-and-bust mining story: a brief, prosperous era fueled by silver, followed by quiet preservation amid the desert landscape.

Belmont Nevada State Historic Marker Text

Belmont sits at an elevation of 7,400 feet. A spring flowing year round made this a gathering site of the Shoshone Indians for rabbit drives and celebrations.

In 1865, silver ore discoveries led to the development of an attractive tree-shaded mercantile community.  East Belmont became the mining and milling center. A wide range of nationalities worked the mines, operated businesses, and provided services.  At its height, Belmont had schools, churches, a post office, and a newspaper, as well as a Chinatown, a red-light district, and a racetrack. The town was the Nye County seat from 1867 to 1905, and a courthouse survives from this period.

Belmont had a reputation as a rowdy town. Incidents of saloon brawls, vigilante actions, shootings, hangings, and feuds made the town notorious. Well known Nevadans such as Jack Longstreet, Tasker Oddie, Jim Butler, and Andrew Maute all participated in local early history.

Silver production totaling four million dollars was from high grade but shallow ore. By 1890, most mines ceased to be profitable and were forced to shut down. Belmont’s population dwindled as most residents left for new discoveries in nearby mining towns.

STATE HISTORIC MARKER No. 138
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE

Nevada State Historic Marker Summary

NameBelmont
LocationNye County, Nevada
Nevada State Historic Marker138
Latitude, Longitude38.5959, -116.8755

Belmont Trail Map

Belmont Newspapers

Belmont Courier Newspaper

The Belmont Courier newspaper was a weekly newspaper published in Belmont, Nye County, Nevada, from February 14, 1874, to March 2, 1901. Operating during the…

Mountain Champion Newspaper

The Mountain Champion Newspaper was a short-lived but significant newspaper published in Belmont, Nevada, during the late 1860s. Operating in a bustling mining region, it…

Silver Bend Reporter Newspaper

The Silver Bend Reporter newspaper emerged in Belmont, Nevada, a mining town in Nye County that became a hub of activity following the discovery of…

References

Candelaria Nevada – Mineral County Ghost Town

Candelaria, located in Mineral County, Nevada, approximately 55 miles south of Hawthorne along U.S. Highway 95, is a classic example of a Nevada silver boomtown that rose rapidly in the late 19th century and faded into a ghost town by the mid-20th century. Situated in the Candelaria Hills at an elevation of about 5,665 feet, the site was dominated by rich silver deposits on the northern slopes of Mount Diablo. Today, the area features remnants of its mining past alongside a modern open-pit operation by Kinross Gold, which restricts public access to much of the historic townsite.

Candelaria, Nevada 1876
Candelaria, Nevada 1876

Discovery and Early Development (1860s–1870s)

Silver was first discovered in the area as early as 1863 or 1864 by Mexican prospectors searching for gold and silver in southwestern Nevada. The district, initially known as the Columbus District, saw limited activity until 1873, when the Northern Belle Mine (also called the Holmes Mine) began production. This mine became the district’s flagship operation, eventually yielding approximately $15 million in silver (a massive sum for the era). By 1875, the Candelaria district was the most productive silver area in southwestern Nevada.

In 1876, mills were built in nearby Belleville to process ore, and the town of Candelaria was platted. A post office opened that year (initially spelled “Candalara” until 1882). Early challenges included severe water scarcity—water was hauled from springs nine miles away, costing up to $1 per gallon—and the use of dry stamping mills, which produced toxic dust leading to high rates of “miners’ consumption” (silicosis or respiratory diseases).

Boom Years and Railroad Era (1880s–1890s)

The town boomed in the early 1880s, reaching a peak population of around 1,500–3,000 residents between 1881 and 1883. Candelaria became the largest settlement in what was then Esmeralda County (later Mineral County). It supported a vibrant community with two hotels, multiple stores and mercantiles, a bank, telegraph office, school, lumber yards, two breweries, three doctors, three lawyers, a newspaper (The True Fissure, published 1880–1886), and over 24 saloons. The town earned a reputation as one of Nevada’s roughest mining camps, with local papers jokingly reporting weeks with “no one killed or half-murdered.”

A pivotal development came in February 1882, when the Carson and Colorado Railroad (a narrow-gauge line owned by interests connected to the Virginia & Truckee Railroad) completed a 6-mile branch from Belleville Junction (near modern Mina) to Candelaria. This spur included dramatic wooden trestles and alleviated the water shortage by allowing tank cars to transport water. It also enabled efficient ore shipment and supply delivery, boosting prosperity. The railroad’s arrival marked the town’s peak, with engines like No. 1 named Candelaria in honor of the town.

Candelaria, Nevada c 1880
Candelaria, Nevada c 1880

However, setbacks included a fire in 1883 that destroyed parts of town and a prolonged strike in 1885 that halved production. The Panic of 1893 (a nationwide silver price crash) devastated the district, closing many mines and halting investment.

Decline and Later Mining (1900s–1930s)

Production recovered somewhat in the early 20th century, with the district yielding gold, silver, copper, and lead valued at nearly $1 million from 1903–1920 alone. Minor discoveries included variscite and turquoise in 1908. The railroad remained active into the late 1890s but saw declining use. By the 1930s, mines were idle again, and the post office closed in 1935 (or 1939 per some sources), marking the town’s effective abandonment.

A smaller subsidiary camp, Metallic City (about ¾ mile south), catered to a rowdier crowd and faded alongside Candelaria.

Modern Era and Current Status

Sporadic mining continued into the 20th century, but large-scale revival came in the 1980s–1990s with open-pit operations. Today, the Candelaria Mine (operated by Kinross Gold) is an active silver-gold site on Mount Diablo, producing through heap leaching. The historic townsite features scattered ruins: stone foundations, crumbling walls, miners’ cabins, a historic cemetery, and remnants like the old Wells Fargo building. Access is limited due to private mining land; visitors should respect restrictions and stay on public roads.

Main street buildings of Candelaria, probably in the early 1880s
Main street buildings of Candelaria, probably in the early 1880s

Mining Legacy

The Candelaria District produced an estimated $20–30 million in minerals historically, primarily silver from the Northern Belle and related veins. It exemplified Nevada’s silver rush era but highlighted challenges like water scarcity, health hazards from dry milling, and economic volatility tied to commodity prices.

Railroad Significance

The Carson and Colorado’s branch was crucial for Candelaria’s brief prosperity, connecting it to broader networks via Mound House and later Southern Pacific lines. The railroad, sold to Southern Pacific in 1900 and reorganized multiple times, operated until the mid-20th century in parts, but the Candelaria spur was abandoned as mining waned.

Candelaria’s story encapsulates Nevada’s mining heritage: explosive growth fueled by precious metals and railroads, followed by inevitable busts. For further exploration, sources like Stanley Paher’s Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps and USGS bulletins provide detailed accounts. The site remains a poignant reminder of the Silver State’s boom-and-bust cycles.

Candelaria Town Summary

NameCandelaria Nevada
LocationMineral County Nevada
Latitude, Longitude38.1589, -118.0892
Nevada State Historic Marker92
GNIS857457
Elevation5,715 ft (1,742 m)
Post Office August 1876 – November 1882
– 1941
NewspaperTrue Fissure June 12, 1880 – Dec 4, 1886

Chloride Belt Dec 10, 1890 – Dec 24, 1892

Candelaria Trail Map

Candelaria Personalities

Christian Brevoort Zabriskie

Christian Brevoort Zabriskie

Christian Brevoort Zabriskie was a vice president and general manager Pacific Coast Borax Company located in Death Valley National Park. Zabriske served the Pacific Coast…
Francis Marion "Borax" Smith

Francis Marion Smith – “Borax Smith”

Francis Marion "Borax" Smith Francis Marion Smith, also known as "Borax" Smith was a miner and business man who made a fortune in the hostile…

Resources

Palmetto Nevada – Esmeralda County Ghost Town

In the desolate expanse of Esmeralda County, Nevada—where the Silver Peak Range meets the stark horizon of the Great Basin—lie the weathered remnants of Palmetto, a ghost town that embodies the ephemeral pulse of the Silver Rush era. Founded in 1866 amid the feverish scramble for mineral wealth that followed the Comstock Lode’s discovery, Palmetto’s name whimsically derives from a prospectors’ misidentification of local Joshua trees as relatives of the palmetto palms, evoking a touch of Southern nostalgia in this arid frontier. Situated at approximately 37.44°N, 117.69°W and an elevation of about 7,000 feet, Palmetto straddles the Nevada-California border, roughly 20 miles south of Silver Peak, 30 miles west of Lida, and 45 miles southwest of Goldfield—the county seat. This remote outpost, once a hive of stamped mills and tent cities, flickered through three booms and busts, its fate intertwined with the veins of silver, gold, and lead that laced the surrounding mountains. Today, it stands as a skeletal archive of stone ruins and mine adits, a testament to the relentless optimism and inevitable decay that defined Nevada’s mining heritage. This report traces Palmetto’s turbulent history, its symbiotic bonds with neighboring camps like Lida and Silver Peak, the vital role of railroad spurs in sustaining its operations, and the mines that both birthed and buried it.

Tent business in Palmetto, 1906
Tent business in Palmetto, 1906

Palmetto, Nevada: A Descriptive History Report

Introduction

In the desolate expanse of Esmeralda County, Nevada—where the Silver Peak Range meets the stark horizon of the Great Basin—lie the weathered remnants of Palmetto, a ghost town that embodies the ephemeral pulse of the Silver Rush era. Founded in 1866 amid the feverish scramble for mineral wealth that followed the Comstock Lode’s discovery, Palmetto’s name whimsically derives from a prospectors’ misidentification of local Joshua trees as relatives of the palmetto palms, evoking a touch of Southern nostalgia in this arid frontier. Situated at approximately 37.44°N, 117.69°W and an elevation of about 7,000 feet, Palmetto straddles the Nevada-California border, roughly 20 miles south of Silver Peak, 30 miles west of Lida, and 45 miles southwest of Goldfield—the county seat. This remote outpost, once a hive of stamped mills and tent cities, flickered through three booms and busts, its fate intertwined with the veins of silver, gold, and lead that laced the surrounding mountains. Today, it stands as a skeletal archive of stone ruins and mine adits, a testament to the relentless optimism and inevitable decay that defined Nevada’s mining heritage. This report traces Palmetto’s turbulent history, its symbiotic bonds with neighboring camps like Lida and Silver Peak, the vital role of railroad spurs in sustaining its operations, and the mines that both birthed and buried it.

The Spark of Discovery and Early Booms (1866–1870s)

Palmetto’s origins trace to the post-Civil War mineral frenzy that swept westward from Virginia City’s Comstock Lode. In 1866, three prospectors—H.W. Bunyard, Thomas Israel, and T.W. McNutt—stumbled upon rich silver deposits while exploring the southern flanks of the Silver Peak Range, north of what would become the townsite. Mistaking the region’s iconic Joshua trees (Yucca brevifolia) for palmettos—a nod to their likely Southern roots—they christened the new mining district and camp “Palmetto.” The find ignited a brief frenzy: by year’s end, a 12-stamp mill rose on the site, its rhythmic pounding echoing through the canyon as it processed ore into bullion bars. Yet, the veins proved shallow and sparse; the mill idled for lack of feed, and by 1867, the camp lay abandoned, its tents shredded by desert winds and its hopefuls scattering to fresher strikes.

A second flicker came in the late 1860s, spurred by the broader Esmeralda boom. The New York and Silver Peak Mining Company, under Colonel B.M. Catherwood, relocated a 12-stamp mill from nearby Silver Peak to Palmetto in 1868, employing 50–60 workers to extract the ore. On January 16, 1869, the mill shipped its first three bullion bars, valued at $4,600 (equivalent to about $89,000 today), a fleeting triumph amid the creak of ore wagons and the acrid smoke of smelters. Palmetto’s early economy leaned heavily on its neighbors: supplies flowed from Silver Peak, just 20 miles north, where ranchers and freighters provided foodstuffs and water from the well-irrigated valley below. Stage roads connected the camp to Wadsworth on the Central Pacific Railroad, 200 miles north, for shipping bullion eastward. But as before, the ore pinched out, and Catherwood’s mill fell silent by 1870, its machinery rusting under relentless sun as prospectors decamped to Candelaria or Bodie.

Revival, Bust, and the Shadow of the Rails (1880s–1900s)

The 1880s brought Palmetto’s most sustained vitality, a modest renaissance fueled by deeper veins and persistent lessees. The McNamara Mine emerged as a flagship, yielding enough silver and lead to sustain a small town of stone-and-adobe structures quarried from local rock—enduring edifices that outlasted many canvas boomtowns. Postal service commenced on April 24, 1888, a lifeline to the outside world, but by June 7, 1894, the veins faltered again, and mail routed to Lida, 30 miles east, where a burgeoning camp offered better prospects. This period cemented Palmetto’s relational web: Lida, born in 1871 as an outgrowth of the Aurora boom, served as a supply hub and milling center, its valley springs piping water to Goldfield via a 1905 aqueduct that indirectly benefited Palmetto’s intermittent operations. Silver Peak, with its 1860s origins, provided agricultural support—hay, grain, and livestock from its ranches sustaining Palmetto’s teams of mules hauling ore southward.

Railroads, the arteries of Nevada’s mining veins, played a pivotal yet indirect role in Palmetto’s fate. The Carson and Colorado Railroad (C&C), a narrow-gauge line chartered in 1880 to link Carson City’s mills to southern ore fields, snaked through Esmeralda County from Mound House southward, reaching Candelaria by 1882 and Hawthorne by 1883. Though Palmetto itself lacked a direct station—its remoteness in the Palmetto Mountains (also known as Pigeon Springs District) precluded easy access—the C&C’s spurs and connections were lifelines. Ore from Palmetto’s mines, including the McNamara, was freighted by wagon to Lida or Silver Peak, then railed south on the C&C’s Hawthorne-Candelaria branch for milling in Benton or Keeler, California, 100 miles distant. By 1900, Southern Pacific’s acquisition of the C&C boosted efficiency, but Palmetto’s isolation—far from the line’s main artery—hastened its decline as haulers favored rail-proximate camps.

Palmetto’s third and grandest boom erupted in 1903, riding the Tonopah-Goldfield wave that flooded Esmeralda with speculators. J.G. Fesler’s discovery in the Windypah section reopened old shafts and birthed new ones, swelling the population to 200 in a tent city half a mile west of the original site. A mile-long commercial strip materialized: assay offices run by Goldfield’s Mare Latham and Columbia’s Nesbitt Brothers, saloons alive with miners’ ditties, general stores stocked via Lida Junction, restaurants serving venison and beans, lumber yards for shoring timbers, feed stables for ore wagons, and doctors’ tents patching dynamite wounds. The Palmetto Herald, a weekly gazette, launched in February 1906, chronicling strikes and scandals until its demise that autumn. Postal service resumed on December 16, 1905, but by fall 1906, as high-grade ore dwindled, the tide reversed: miners trekked to Silver Peak’s borax works or Blair’s railhead, buildings dismantled and relocated to Lida, and mail rerouted there on December 31, 1907. The Tonopah and Goldfield Railroad (T&G), completed in 1905 from Tonopah to Goldfield, indirectly siphoned talent eastward, its spurs to mills like Miller’s (10 miles west of Tonopah) offering faster ore transport than Palmetto’s wagon trails.

The Mines: Veins of Fortune and Forlorn Hope

Palmetto’s lifeblood coursed from its mines, clustered in the Palmetto (or Pigeon Springs) Mining District, a rugged 7,641-foot-high expanse of volcanic tuffs and Paleozoic limestones honeycombed with silver-lead-gold veins. The flagship Palmetto Mine, a silver-lead prospect, featured shafts and adits yielding modest tonnages, while the McNamara churned out bars in the 1880s. The 1903–1906 surge spotlighted the Windypah group—high-grade pockets worked by lessees on the Palmetto Consolidated claims—and the Cypress Mine, with its 860-foot tunnel and 76-foot shaft sunk by 1913. Total output hovered around $1 million (in period dollars), a pittance compared to Tonopah’s millions, but enough to sustain brief opulence. Post-1907, activity sputtered: a 1920 mill revival fizzled, and sporadic leasing through the 1970s extracted talc from nearby deposits, Nevada’s “soapstone” prized for ceramics. Modern claimants, like Smooth Rock Ventures’ 116 unpatented lodes (2,117 acres) since 2020, probe for gold in the Walker Lane trend, with inferred resources of 300,000 ounces Au, but surface scars—rusted headframes, tailings piles, and collapsed adits—dominate the landscape.

Nevada State Historic Marker

Thinking that local joshua trees were related to palm trees, the 1866 prospectors named the mining camp Palmetto. The town “died” and revived three times.

New prospecting in 1903 caused Palmetto to grow to a town of 200 tents on a platted townsite. At its peak year, 1906, the commercial street, over 1/2 mile long, contained all the necessary mining camp businesses.

Local miners drifted away in autumn, 1906. Mining, on a lease basis, has been minimal since that time. An important talc deposit lies nearby.

Nevada State Historic Marker #158

Decline, Desertion, and Enduring Ties (1910s–Present)

By the 1910s, Palmetto was a whisper: the C&C’s 1905 gauge conversion to standard from Mound House to Mina bypassed its feeder trails, and the T&G’s booms in Tonopah (70 miles northeast) and Goldfield drew away labor and capital. Surrounding towns absorbed its remnants—Lida inherited buildings and mail, Silver Peak its ranching underbelly—while Gold Point, 19 miles north, echoed similar silver woes. The Great Depression and World War II sealed its ghost status, though talc mining and uranium whispers in the 1950s offered false dawns.

As of December 2025, Palmetto endures on BLM land as Nevada State Historic Marker #158, its stone walls—partially collapsed but defiantly upright—guarding yawning shafts and scattered relics like ore carts and assay bottles. Accessible via a rough dirt track off State Route 168 (30 miles west of Lida Junction on SR 266), the site draws hardy explorers in high-clearance vehicles, who navigate creosote-dotted washes under vast skies. No services exist—bring water, fuel, and caution for unstable mines—but its ties persist: Lida’s ranches supply modern travelers, Silver Peak’s lithium operations (revived in the 2010s) hum 20 miles north, and Goldfield’s courthouse archives Palmetto’s ledgers. Recent X posts from November 2025 laud drone shots of its ruins at golden hour, dubbing it “Esmeralda’s forgotten jewel” amid #NevadaGhostTowns trends. In this eternal boomtown graveyard, Palmetto whispers of rails that came too late and fortunes that fled too soon, a spectral bridge between Nevada’s wild past and its unyielding present. For access updates, consult Nevada’s Division of State Parks or BLM Tonopah Field Office.

Palmetto Trail Map

Resources

Greenwater California – Inyo County Ghost Town

In the scorched embrace of the Funeral Mountains, where the Mojave Desert meets the unrelenting heat of Death Valley, lies the spectral outline of Greenwater—a fleeting copper boomtown that flickered to life in the shadow of California’s most infamous wilderness. Perched at approximately 3,500 feet in Greenwater Valley, about 27 miles southeast of Furnace Creek and just over the Nevada border from the Bullfrog Mining District, Greenwater embodied the raw ambition of early 20th-century prospectors. Named for the verdant spring that promised life amid the barren talus slopes and creosote flats, the town rose from two rival camps—Kunze and Ramsey—only to collapse under the weight of unprofitable veins and economic turmoil. Its story is one of explosive speculation, where over $15 million in investments poured into a district yielding little more than oxidized malachite and investor regret. This report traces Greenwater’s turbulent history, its vital ties to neighboring outposts like Rhyolite and Beatty, the lifeline of railroad aspirations, and the mines that lured—and ultimately betrayed—thousands to this unforgiving frontier.

Greenwater Mining District, CA 1906
Greenwater Mining District, CA 1906

Early Discoveries and the Spark of the Boom (1880s–1905)

The Funeral Range, a jagged volcanic spine etched by ancient fault lines, had long guarded its mineral secrets. As early as the 1880s, prospectors whispered of copper outcrops staining the canyon walls with turquoise hues, but the site’s isolation—over 50 miles from the nearest railhead and besieged by summer temperatures exceeding 120°F and winter freezes that cracked water barrels—stifled development. Water, the desert’s cruelest commodity, cost $15 per barrel, hauled by mule teams from distant springs, while the nearest civilization was a grueling three-day trek across the Amargosa Desert.

The tide turned in 1904, when the gold rush in Nevada’s Bullfrog District—ignited by Shorty Harris’s quartz strike near present-day Rhyolite—drew adventurers southward. Prospectors spilling over from Beatty and Rhyolite stumbled upon rich copper oxides near Greenwater Spring, a rare oasis where alkali flats gave way to mineralized breccias. Frank McAllister and Arthur Kunze staked the first claims in late 1904, founding Kunze Camp atop the ridge at 4,000 feet, where a modest cluster of tents sprouted amid the piñon and Joshua trees. By spring 1905, rival Harry Ramsey platted a lower site in the valley floor, dubbing it Copperfield or Ramsey, three miles downhill for easier wagon access. These embryonic outposts, fueled by tales of “picture ore” assaying 20–30% copper, marked the prelude to frenzy, as stages from Beatty rattled in with wide-eyed speculators clutching stock prospectuses.

Greenwater California 1907
Greenwater California 1907

Boomtown Rivalry and Rapid Expansion (1906–1907)

By August 1906, the merger of Kunze and Ramsey birthed Greenwater proper, a canvas metropolis swelling to 2,000 souls in the blink of an eye. Tents blanketed the valley like a vast encampment, housing saloons belching forth raucous laughter and the acrid smoke of hand-rolled cigarettes, alongside assay offices tallying assays that fueled Wall Street dreams. The Death Valley Chuck-Walla, a satirical broadsheet, skewered frauds and boosters alike, its pages alive with cartoons of “copper kings” and exposés of wildcat schemes. A post office opened in October, the Greenwater Banking Corporation erected a two-story frame edifice, and the Tonopah Lumber Company hauled in 150,000 board feet to frame hotels, stores, and a nascent red-light district. Main Street lots fetched $500–$5,000, with over 2,200 platted in 130 blocks, while a justice of the peace and constable imposed a veneer of order amid the chaos of claim-jumpers and saloon brawls.

Seventy-three companies incorporated, backed by titans like Charles Schwab (Greenwater United Copper) and F.M. “Borax” Smith, injecting $15–30 million into shafts piercing the rhyolite and tuff. Nearby Furnace, a tent city three miles west founded by Patsy Clark’s Furnace Creek Copper Company, boomed in parallel, its post office flickering from March 1907 to February 1908. Yet, beneath the bustle, cracks formed: water scarcity forced reliance on hauled barrels, and the first assays revealed shallow oxides giving way to barren ash below 200 feet.

Greenwater California
Greenwater California

Ties to Surrounding Towns: A Web of Supply and Speculation

Greenwater’s isolation bred dependence on its Nevada neighbors, forging a symbiotic yet strained network across the state line. Rhyolite, 35 miles north in the Bullfrog Hills, served as the primary gateway; its gold-fueled boom—peaking at 10,000 residents—drew the initial rush southward, with stages from Rhyolite’s depot ferrying prospectors over Daylight Pass in three bone-jarring days. Beatty, five miles east of Rhyolite and straddling the Amargosa River, emerged as the crucial freight hub, its Montgomery Hotel and saloons provisioning Greenwater’s miners with whiskey, beans, and dynamite via mule trains. Amargosa, a nascent stop three miles west of Rhyolite, briefly thrived as a waystation for Greenwater-bound wagons, its store and blacksmith echoing with the clamor of ore sacks.

This interdependence cut both ways: Greenwater’s copper fever siphoned capital from Bullfrog’s gold fields, irking Rhyolite operators who watched investors pivot south. When Rhyolite’s mines faltered in 1907, its salvaged timbers and machinery migrated to Greenwater, only to be abandoned there in turn. Furnace Creek, 27 miles west in Death Valley proper, supplied scant water and borax lore from “Borax” Smith’s operations, while distant Tonopah and Goldfield funneled speculative stock sales eastward. In essence, Greenwater was a peripheral bloom on the Bullfrog stem, its vitality borrowed from Nevada’s gold rush until both withered.

Train Stops and the Elusive Iron Horse

Railroads were Greenwater’s siren song, promising to conquer the desert’s tyranny. The Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad (T&T), chartered in 1904 by “Borax” Smith to link his Death Valley borax works to Ludlow, California, snaked northward from the Santa Fe mainline, reaching Crucero in 1906 and Death Valley Junction by 1907. Its 160-mile grade skirted Greenwater Valley, with a proposed branch eyeing the copper camps; surveyors plotted routes from Beatty (via the Las Vegas & Tonopah) and Amargosa, but the Panic of 1907 derailed ambitions.

The Tonopah & Greenwater Railroad, incorporated in March 1907, vowed a 50-mile spur from the T&T at Amargosa, complete by July, but it never broke ground. Greenwater’s fate hinged on Ramsey’s lower site for its gentler gradient—saving millions in grading—yet no spike was driven. The T&T’s northern terminus at Gold Center, south of Beatty, became a nominal “stop” for Greenwater freight, but wagons remained king, groaning under 20-ton loads across rutted trails. The railroads’ ghosts linger in graded beds now traced by off-roaders, a testament to promises unfulfilled.

The Mines: Copper Dreams and Barren Realities

Greenwater’s 2,500 claims riddled the Funeral Range’s east face, targeting oxidized copper in brecciated rhyolite—malachite and azurite staining faults amid quartz veins. The Furnace Creek Copper Mine, Greenwater’s crown jewel under Patsy Clark, plunged 200 feet, shipping 20 tons of 20% ore in early 1906 before hitting sterile ash. Schwab’s Greenwater United Copper, capitalized at $5 million, tunneled aggressively, as did the Greenwater Death Valley Copper Company, whose 73 rivals blanketed the valley in a frenzy of drywashers and adits.

Production was a mirage: sporadic shipments in 1916–1918 and 1929 gleaned $10,000 from dumps during copper spikes, but no mine achieved sustained output. The Greenwater Mine yielded one carload in 1916; others, like the Hallelujah and Hidden Valley groups, idled as shafts revealed low-grade sulfides untreatable without a smelter. Fraud tainted the boom—four companies exposed as scams—yet the district’s geology, a cap of shallow oxides over deep barren rock, doomed it utterly. Tailings scar the slopes today, silent witnesses to ambition’s folly.

Decline and Desertion (1907–1920s)

The Panic of 1907 struck like a Mojave dust storm, crashing copper stocks and halting infusions; by summer, saloons shuttered, and the Chuck-Walla fell silent. Guggenheim engineers, inspecting Furnace Creek, pronounced the veins pinched out, triggering a mass exodus—tents folded, wagons creaked northward to Rhyolite’s own ruins. By January 1908, only 50 lingered amid one saloon’s dying echoes; the post office closed in 1908, and Furnace followed suit. Sporadic revivals in World War I’s copper hunger yielded scraps, but by the 1920s, Greenwater devolved into a winter haven for “desert rats”—grizzled prospectors swapping yarns around campfires, their dreams as dry as the valley floor.

Current Status

Today, Greenwater is a true ghost, its tent scars erased by wind and flash floods, leaving scant ruins at the original Kunze site—a few leveled foundations and mine adits—while the valley floor lies barren. Managed within Death Valley National Park, access demands a high-clearance 4WD via the 20-mile Greenwater Valley Road from Highway 190 south of Dante’s View—rutted, washboarded, and prone to seasonal closures from monsoons or snow. No amenities exist; visitors contend with extreme heat (up to 130°F) and hypothermia risks at night, packing water and fuel for the isolation.

Greenwater draws intrepid explorers via the Lonesome Miner Trail—a 40-mile backpacking route linking it to Beveridge and other Inyo relics—championed by the National Park Service for its “outdoor museum” value. Drone footage and geotagged hikes trend on platforms like AllTrails, but the site’s fragility—tailings laced with arsenic—warrants caution; no collecting is permitted. Amid climate whiplash, with 2025’s erratic rains scouring the valley, Greenwater endures as a meditation on hubris, its silence broken only by coyote howls echoing the ghosts of a copper mirage. For current conditions, consult NPS resources.

Greenwater Town Summary

NameGreenwater
Also Known Kunze, Ramsey
LocationInyo County, Death Valley, California
Latitude, Longitude36.179444, -116.616389
Elevation4,280 feet
NewspaperGreenwater Times ( 1906-1908 )

Greenwater Map

References